Expert Witness & Consultative Services in Massage and Spa Legal Cases
Felicia Brown, LMBT has been a massage therapist since 1994. Her expertise, experience and opinions come from more than 27 years of experience as a practitioner, owner, coach, consultant, educator and client in the spa and massage industries. An advocate for the massage and spa industries, Felicia will do her best to serve each case fairly by being curious and thorough in her analysis. She strives to provide direct and thoughtful consultation, opinions and/or testimony for each situation and case.
Areas of Specialty
Inappropriate Touch, Sexual Abuse & Sexual Misconduct: Felicia has taught professional ethics since 1997, initially as a part of the curriculum for the Guilford Technical Community College – Professional Massage Therapy Program and Natural Touch School of Massage. Several years later, she became an Approved Provider for the National Certification Board for Massage & Bodywork and developed a number of professional ethics classes. Though ethics is often thought of a dry and boring topic, Felicia has a talent for teaching difficult subjects with a clear, no-nonsense way while still making the classes memorable, fun and enjoyable for students.
Business Practices: Since 1996, Felicia has owned and managed several spas. This experience combined with many years of networking and collaborating with – and consulting for – similar professionals has provided her with direct knowledge of common and accepted business and management practices, policies, operations and procedures in businesses employing massage therapists.
During her career, Felicia has taught and/or consulted with hundreds of students and clients about massage and spa workplace issues including but not limited to dealing with inappropriate clients; harassment/sexual harassment issues, hiring classification and embezzlement. Additionally, she advises clients on issues related to the hiring, training and supervision of employees; policies and procedures; business operations; working with renters and/or independent contractors; professionalism and ethics; customer service and care; safety and sanitation; and various spa and massage product liability issues.
Standard of Care/Standards of Practice: From proper treatment protocols to Massage and Spa Industry standards of care and standards of practice to how to provide appropriate draping, privacy, client comfort and confidentiality, Felicia is a wealth of information of what should and should not occur within a massage session or other spa service.
- Expert Witness: Since 2015, Felicia has served as an expert witness or consultant on more than forty legal cases involving the massage and spa industries. Working on both Plaintiff and Defense, she has provided detailed reviews of deposition, case materials and testimony; consultations on standard business practices and standards of care; and conducted research related to the cases. In some cases, Felicia’s reviews have resulted in the production of an Affidavit of Merit or Expert Report; in others it has led to a Deposition. To date, no trial testimony has occurred.
- Spa Owner/President: From start-up and turn-around to inventory control, operations, management and more, Felicia is familiar with the complex inner workings of a spa or massage practice. Her first business, Balance Day Spa, grew from a private practice into a company with fifty employees and annual sales of over $1.6 million. She sold the business in 2005. Her current spa, A to Zen Massage, has been in operation since 2013 and (pre-COVID) employed thirty-one staff members.
- Massage Therapist: Felicia has been a massage therapist since 1994 and has many clients who have been with her for a decade or longer.
- Speaker & Educator: Felicia has designed and taught numerous courses in the massage and spa fields for more than 25 years. In addition to teaching on numerous business and marketing topics to conference audiences in the US and abroad, she has also developed and taught a number of classes related to professional communication, ethics, boundaries and sexual situations in the massage and spa workplace.
- Spa & Massage Client: For more than 27 years, Felicia been an avid client of massage therapy and spa services, receiving services at her own businesses as well as spas around the US and abroad. The hundreds of differing client experiences have been instrumental in creating Felicia’s well-rounded perspective of the subtleties required for providing comfortable, effective client communication and care.
Counsel, to discuss your needs or case, please contact Felicia here.
CV & Fee Agreement available upon request.