Expert Witness in Massage and Spa Legal Cases
Felicia Brown, LMBT has maintained a private massage therapy clientele since 1994. In addition, she has provided business and marketing coaching as well as continuing education to massage, spa and wellness professionals and businesses.
Felicia’s opinions are based on more than 25 years of experience as a practitioner, owner, client, consultant and educator in the spa and massage industries. She will do her best to serve your clients well by being curious and thorough in her analysis as well as direct and thoughtful with statements related to each situation and case.
Sexual Abuse: Felicia has been teaching professional ethics since 1997, initially as a part of the curriculum for the Guilford Technical Community College – Professional Massage Therapy Program and Natural Touch School of Massage. Several years later, she became an Approved Provider for the National Certification Board for Massage & Bodywork and has developed a number of professional ethics classes. Though ethics is often thought of a dry and boring topic, Felicia has a talent for teaching difficult subjects with a clear, no-nonsense way while still making the classes memorable, fun and enjoyable for students.
Business Practices: Since 1996, Felicia has owned and managed several spas. This experience combined with many years of networking and collaborating with – and consulting for – similar professionals has provided her with direct knowledge of common and accepted business and management practices, policies, operations and procedures in businesses employing massage therapists.
During her career, Felicia has also taught and/or consulted with hundreds of students and clients about massage and spa workplace issues including but not limited to dealing with inappropriate clients; harassment/sexual harassment issues, hiring classification and embezzlement. Additionally, she advises clients on issues related to the hiring, training and supervision of employees; policies and procedures; business operations; working with renters and/or independent contractors; professionalism and ethics; customer service and care; safety and sanitation; and various spa and massage product liability issues.
Standard of Care/Standards of Practice: From proper treatment protocols to Massage Industry standards of care and standards of practice to how to provide appropriate draping, privacy, client comfort and confidentiality, Felicia is a wealth of information of what should and should not occur within a massage session or other spa service.
- Expert Witness: Felicia has served as an expert witness since 2015 on more than twenty cases involving the massage and spa industries, working on both Plaintiff and Defense cases. She has provided detailed reviews of deposition, case materials and testimony; consultations on standard business practices and standards of care; and conducted research related to the cases. In some cases, her research has resulted in the production of an Affidavit of Merit or Expert Report; in others it has led to a Deposition.
- Spa Owner/President: From start-up and turn-around to inventory control, operations, management and more, Felicia is familiar with the complex inner workings of a spa or massage practice. Her first business, Balance Day Spa, grew from a private practice into a company with fifty employees and annual sales of over $1.6 million. She sold the business in 2005. Her current spa, A to Zen Massage, has been in operation since 2013 and (pre-COVID) employed as many twenty massage therapists at once.
- Massage Therapist: Felicia has maintained a private massage therapy clientele since 1994 and has many clients who have been with her for a decade or longer.
- Instructor: Felicia has designed and taught numerous courses in the massage and spa fields for more than 20 years. In addition to teaching on numerous business and marketing topics to audiences in the US and abroad, Felicia has also developed and taught a number of classes related to professional communication, ethics, boundaries and sexual situations in the massage workplace.
- Spa & Massage Client: For more than 25 years, Felicia been an avid client of massage therapy and spa services, receiving services at her own businesses as well as spas around the US and abroad. The hundreds of differing client experiences have been instrumental in creating Felicia’s well-rounded perspective of the subtleties required for providing comfortable, effective client communication and care.
Awards & Recognition
- Volunteer of the Year – American Massage Conference
- Spa Person of the Year – Day Spa Association
- Top Entrepreneurs of 2009 – Business Leader Media
- National Volunteer Award – American Massage Therapy Association
- Small Business Person of the Year Award – Greensboro Chamber of Commerce
- Women in Business Award – The Business Journal
Related Books & Monographs
- Customer Service Manifesto (2010)
- Free & Easy Ways to Promote Your Massage, Spa & Wellness Business (2014)
- Creating Lifetime Clients: How to WOW Your Customers for Life (2016)
For more information including a current fee schedule or CV, please contact Felicia here.